Good Ole Soul Food Recipes
- 1 pound : pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons : olive oil
- 1 large : sweet onion, sliced
- 4 cloves : garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon :freshly ground pepper
- smoked sausage
- 7 cups : water or stock (chicken, pork or vegetable)
- 1/4 teaspoon : garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon :red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon : ground cumin
- Slice the sausage and cook it in a large pot over medium heat to render some of the fat. (Mine didn’t yield much.)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, salt, cayenne, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the chicken stock, black-eyed peas, and minced garlic.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered for about 1 ½ hours, until the peas are tender. Serve garnished with green onions, if desired.